25+ years selling tyres online

Same day fitting*

Road Trips After Brexit

Making plans for travelling around Europe can be difficult and leaving the EU has added a little extra hassle, such as the added documentation that you’ll need. However, it’s not the end of the world, so don’t let it put you off. Let’s find out how you can go on them road trips after Brexit.

Having quality tyres on your car is absolutely essential, so make sure you conduct all of the necessary tests. Check your tyre pressure and your tread depth. If you need a new set of wheels then look no further than here.

Driving Abroad

When driving abroad you will need to take your Great British or Northern Irish licence with you. It’s best practise to check it is still valid before heading off, so you don’t get caught with an expired licence. You’ll need to apply to renew your licence at least a week before your travels. 

If you are looking to take your own vehicle, you will also need to make sure that you have your logbook (V5C) and your insurance certificate.

If you are deciding to take a vehicle abroad that you have hired or leased in the UK, then you will need something called a VE103 certificate.

International Driving Permit (IDP) Check 

In some non-EU countries, you might be required to have an international driving permit. You can check if you need one here.

You can get IDP’s over the counter at the Post Office, so don’t panic about getting one. You may need one for each country you are wanting to travel to. 

Don’t apply for an IPD if you are moving abroad as you’ll either need to exchange your current UK licence or apply for a new one in the country that you’re moving to.

Someone using their hand to drive a small toy car over the top of a map of the world.

Overseas Driving Rules

It’s super important to make sure that you double, even triple check the driving rules of the country you are driving in, including local speed limits and drink driving laws. You could be breaking the law if not and land yourself a hefty fine.

Depending on the country you are driving in, you may need a few extra things to take with you: 

  • Extra equipment – this would come in the form of a reflective jacket and a warning triangle, which can be found in the RAC driving kits
  • Emission stickers – which may need to be bought a week before you leave. 
  • Headlight converter stickers.
  • A GB sticker.

When hiring a car, it is 100% your responsibility to fully check that you have all of the right equipment to be able to travel abroad. 

Want to Take Your Pets?

Pet owners are advised to be prepared at least four months prior to their trip. The UK Government has set out a five-point reference and actions for taking pets to EU countries post-Brexit. These must-haves are: 

  • You must have your dog, cat or ferret microchipped and vaccinated before it can travel. This includes having a blood sample taken 30 days after its last rabies vaccination. Vets may advise a rabies booster vaccination.
  • The vet must send the blood sample off to an EU-approved blood testing lab.
  • The results fo the blood test must show that the vaccination was a success. Your pet must have an anti-body of at least 0.5 IU/ml.
  • You must wait for at least three months from the date the successful blood sample was taken before travelling.
  • You must take your pet to an Official Veterinarian, no more than 10 days before you travel o get a health certificate.

It seems a little extreme doesn’t it, just to take your pet away with you, but come on! They’re worth it, aren’t they? 

Dog driving the car with head out of the window and red sunglasses on.
Posted in

Leave a Reply

Notify of

You may also like

Sorry, we couldn't find any posts. Please try a different search.