Nokian WR A4
The Nokian WR A4 is a high performance winter tyre perfect for sporty cars. Combining excellent handling with reliable winter grip, it provides balanced driving in snow storms, slush, heavy rain and on dry roads.
Successor to the popular Nokian WR A3, the WR A4 marks a new generation of high performance winter tyre and boasts an impressive list of technologies and innovations.
The Nokian WR A4 features an innovative asymmetric tread design with functional performance siping. Each computer-optimised sipe and tread block has a very precise role, which ensures excellent grip and handling characteristics.
A sturdy rib dominates the WR A4's centre area. It features tread blocks with staggered centipede siping, which help maximise the tyre's contact surface. These sipes work at all driving angles and improve the tyre's stability and grip on snow and slush. Furthermore, the WR A4 features snow claws, which grip the surface relentlessly on soft snow, again aiding grip.
Moreover, Nokian's new Coanda Technology helps reduce the risk of aquaplaning. The curved design of the tread blocks on the inner and outer shoulders helps water flow more efficiently from the longitudinal grooves into the transverse grooves. These grooves also actually widen as the tyre wears down, which means the WR A4 retains its aquaplaning prevention properties throughout its lifespan. The removal of water and slush is further expedited by the polished longitudinal grooves and inner shoulder’s fan-like pattern with blade grooves.
Furthermore, the WR A4 remains stable and controlled at high speeds, thanks to its sturdy outer shoulder. The different-sized tread blocks are closely tied together with support lifts, so do not move as speed increases. This locking of the tread blocks improves lateral stiffness and ensures excellent handling.
The WR A4's unique compound combines a rubber compound designed for freezing Northern winters, with a silica-based compound that provides excellent performance in milder weather. This combination has resulted in the creation of the Performance Traction Silica compound. It is an entirely new design that contains functional elastomers, natural rubber, silica and canola oil. The inclusion of natural rubber and rapeseed oil ensures excellent winter grip that remains consistent in very low temperatures and throughout the tyre's lifespan. This clever compound also improves driving stability and wear resistance. The canola oil provides extra durability and makes the tyre resistant to punctures, wear and external impacts.
Furthermore, the innovative compound and high-tech tread design work effectively together to reduces rolling resistance. This means the WR A4 provides excellent wear resistance, as well as improved fuel efficiency.
- Silent Sidewall Technology improves driving comfort. The special rubber compound between the sidewall and tread prevents vibrations and sound passing into the passenger compartment of the vehicle.
- Driving Safety Indicator (DSI) improves winter safety. Patented by Nokian, numbers on the centre rib of the tyre show the remaining tread depth clearly in millimetres. The DSI also includes the snowflake symbol of the Winter Safety Indicator (WSI), which indicates an increased risk of aquaplaning.
- Infofield is an innovation that improves safety and simplifies tyre maintenance. During a tyre change, the information area, with its additional fields, can be used to record the correct inflation pressures, the usage location and the tightening torque of the wheel nuts. This is useful as correct tyre pressure improves steering precision, reduces tyre wear and improves fuel efficiency.
- Flat Run Tyre Technology improves safety and offers drivers peace of mind. If the tyre deflates, a driver can continue for approximately 50 kilometres in a fully loaded car, and up to 150 kilometres if the car is only carrying the driver. This technology is available for some sizes of the WR A4.
- Purified oils make Nokian's tyres and manufacturing processes less harmful to the environment.
Research & Development
The company put its Finnish expertise to good use when designing the WR A4's compound, tread pattern and structure. The WR A4 is the result of thousands of hours of laboratory testing, computer modelling and testing in real life conditions.
Nokian spends more than half of its product development budget on relentless testing at the company's various facilities and tracks around the world. Nokian tested the safety properties of the WR A4 at its "White Hell" testing centre in Ivalo, Lapland. In addition to this, the tyre's wet and dry road performance was streamlined on test tracks in both Germany and Spain. Nokian's extensive testing means they have also been able to bring the slush properties of the WR A4 to a superior level.
Nokian WR A4 Features
- Functional performance siping improves winter grip on dry, wet and snow-covered roads
- Stable and balanced high speed performance
- Maximum ride comfort
Nokian WR A4 Reviews & Test
In ACE's 2017 SUV Winter Tyre Test, the WR A4 ranked fifth out of eight tyres. It received an overall label of "Recommended."
In AMS' Performance 18 Inch Winter Tyre Test from the same year, the WR A4 once again performed well. With testers noting its excellent dry grip and very low rolling resistance, the Nokian came out joint fifth with the Fulda Kristall Control HP2 and the Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3.
Nokian WR A4 Sizes
The WR A4's size selection covers rim diameters of 16 to 21 inches and speed ratings H and W.
Some sizes employ Flat Run Technology, and many sizes are reinforced (marked XL) to offer the highest possible load capacity.