One in five van drivers want to be more fuel efficient, according to a survey by a leading insurance retailer.
So Swinton Commercial has responded with a list of tips and recommendations, like checking tyres are properly inflated, to help drivers keep running costs down.
The company offers these suggestions:
* Van drivers should plan their routes carefully. The most direct route will usually be the most efficient. More congested routes will also use more fuel. Listen to local traffic reports on the radio to avoid jams.
* Try to make the van as light as possible. Excessive loads is one of the quickest ways to waste fuel.
Stick to speed limits and drive smoothly. Speeding burns more fuel as does accelerating and braking hard.
* Electrical equipment in the van also runs off the fuel, so if you do not need them, turn them off.
* Check tyre pressure frequently. Under inflated tyres can also burn more fuel.
* Keep the van in tip- top condition, use the correct grade of engine oil and service regularly.
Phil Moss, Commercial Vehicle Manager at Swinton said, “Fuel prices are rising all the time so being fuel efficient is one of the best ways to drive down costs and save money. This is especially important for smaller companies or tradesmen who are self-employed.”
Denna Bowman, Head Office