As much of Britain basks in a heatwave, spare a thought for the people of Warsop who have been plagued by a tyres blaze that has been burning for a month.
Up to 400,000 old tyres went up in smoke in the inferno at the end of last month, but fire fighters had no choice but to allow it to burn itself out.
However, worried householders who live nearby to the site are concerned that the fumes from the fire are affecting their health and continuing impact on their everyday lives.
Ken Hornsby told reporters he had been full of praise for the fire service since the blaze broke out at Robin Hood Environmental Ltd, but insists more should now be done to finally extinguish the flames.
He said: “If the wind is blowing this way, we get the fumes blowing into our garden. You cannot sit out in your garden and have a barbecue or hang your washing out.
“The smell has been really aggravating, it is such a horrible smell and it hits the back of your throat. Everyone has been complaining about the ash fumes.
“I know they are containing it but it flares up every now and again and at night time you cannot have your windows open because the fumes come in.”
Ken Clark, who also lives nearby has called on the town’s community leaders to help resolve the problem.
“I know it’s hard but if the fire keeps going for a few more weeks, it will not be worth living around here,” he said. And his wife Veronica revealed how her asthma had deteriorated since the fire.
“My asthma is getting worse and worse, it is just cough, cough, cough all the time and it is especially bad in the morning –– something needs to be done,” she said.
A Health Protection Agency spokesman advised residents affected by the smoke to stay indoors where possible and keep their doors and windows closed to minimise the exposure.
Denna Bowman, Head Office