By Denna Bowman
Summer has arrived and it’s time for motorists to make sure their tyres are safe and legal, whether they are planning some long distance driving for a ‘staycation’ or jumping into car and heading off for a fun day out.
etyres has issued a list of five three simple tips to help motorists make sure their tyres are in prime condition:
1. Check the tread depth and make sure it is not below the minimum legal limit of 1.6mm. The way to do it is insert a 20p coin on its side into the tread grooves at several intervals across the tread. If you can see the outer band there is a good chance the tyres are illegal and you should get them replaced as soon as possible.
2. Carry out a visual inspection at least once a month. Look for signs of cracking, bulging or irregular wear, which could be a sign that the tyres are not aligned properly.
3. Make sure all the tyres are properly inflated. Check the owner’s manual or the placard on the inside of the driver-side door to find out the correct inflation and always check the tyres when they are cold or have been driven for less than two miles.
4. Don’t forget the spare – make sure you take the time to check the spare tyre when carrying out these steps.
5. And if you need new tyres it is worth remembering that etyres offers a mobile tyre fitting service and because our overheads are low we pass the savings on to our customers in the form of cheaper prices – up to 40% lower than the leading high street tyre depots.