Motorists living in Kingston have been given some top advice on how to ensure their vehicle tyres are up to the job of motoring to Europe.
The very informative Kingstonpeople.co.uk invited Mark, who runs our mobile tyres fitting branch there, to offer advice to local people who are planning on motoring abroad.
This is what he had to say: “Don’t get caught out on holiday be prepared – make sure at least a week before departure that you check your car over or get it serviced.
“Pay particular attention to your tyres! Ensure that they are roadworthy for the whole trip and correctly inflated to carry the family and luggage. Remember, illegal tyres in the UK carry a 3 point penalty and a minimum £60 fine per tyre. Four illegal tyres can lose you your licence. They are just as strict in mainland Europe.”
Mark also had a string advice about things to check and take along for the journey, inluding:
* Insurance cover – make sure it covers you aboard and take details with you
* Breakdown cover – make sure it covers you aboard and take details with you
* Spare keys – if yours get lost or stolen while you are away you will kick yourself if you don’t have them.
And other helpful hints and tips on driving abroad, included:
* On the spot fines for breaking laws are heavy including running out of fuel on motorways and vehicle defects
* Cars must carry a warning triangle, spare bulb set, hi-vis vests and a spare wheel or equipment to fix a flat tyre (pump, jack etc). It is also advised to carry the vehicle log book to prove ownership, etc.
Denna Bowman, Head Office