With rain splashing down across the UK it is a good time for motorists to check their tyres to avoid accidents.
The risks associated with wet weather driving can be reduced through maintaining tyres to the manufacturers recommended pressure and to the legal minimum tread depth.
TyreSafe recommends motorists undertake a simple 5 minute tyre safety check to ensure that their tyres are safe before starting their journey.
1. Check and adjust if necessary, the tyre pressure in each tyre including the spare as recommended in the manufacturer’s handbook.
2. Clean dirt from around valves and fit dust caps to all tyres
3. Remove stones and other foreign objects from the tread
4. Check that tyres have at least 1.6mm of tread across three quarters of the width of the tyre. TyreSafe recommends that motorists consider changing tyres when the tread falls below 3mm
5. Check for un-even tyre wear which might mean steering misalignment or out of balance wheels.
6. Check tyres for cuts and bulges which could render the tyre defective and potentially dangerous.
7. TyreSafe recommends that if tyres need replacing they should be replaced in two’s or all four.
Denna Bowman, Head Office