By Oliver Hall
Bonfire night revelers are being warned about the dangers of burning tyres on 5th Novebmer.
Old tyres are often used to fuel the flames, but they a major contributor to environmental pollution and can present health hazards, according to Mayo County Council.
The council’s Environment Awareness Office has issued a warning that tyres contain many chemicals which produce toxic fumes when they are burned.
The application of chemicals in the manufacturing process makes them dangerous when they are burning because they release harmful by-products and toxic waste.
These fumes are then emitted into the air and breathed in by an unsuspecting public.
They also contaminate the land around the fire and the back-gardens over which the smoke passes.
Once released, these toxins will persist for a long time in the environment and can be absorbed by vegetables and produce grown in gardens, which could make then unhealthy to eat.
Other products which should not be burned on a bonfire include, batteries, aerosols, bottles, foam-filled furniture and tins of paint.